Monday, April 2, 2007
This is Intense - The Best Coffee Chains
I love coffee! It is my favorite non-alcoholic beverage. A day does not go by that I do not have my coffee. I need it like I need water, actually maybe more. This weekend I had the honor of trying my new favorite coffee chain, Honey Dew donuts.
This place is really incredible. The coffee is so smooth and delicious. The regular iced coffee tastes as good as a latte at some of the higher prices places.
Anyway to celebrate my new obsession I am going to be ranking my favorite coffee chains.
1) Honey Dew - Wow, they need to open these in NY. How about we tear down 25% of the Starbucks and open these up. They have many different coffee flavors, I tried the French Vanilla and it was awesome! They also have great muffins. I had the pistachio one. It is green and tastes like a cookie. I am curious to try some of their low fat muffins to see how they taste.
2) Dunkin Donuts - This was my old favorite. I try to have it once a day. I like the French Vanilla coffee here but sometimes I find it inconsistent at different locations. You need to find a good Dunkin to get the best quality coffee. Some of them are kinda shady and some are just like big coffee factories but I still love it! I also like their hot chocolate and vanilla chai a lot. I am not a big fan of their lattes. Of course their donuts are amazing but usually I get a wheat bagel or corn muffin. Both are very yummy.
3) Caribou Coffee - I just went here in Atlanta and was very impressed. Their iced latte was delicious as was just their iced French Vanilla. They have a very nice menu of different kinds of lattes I want to try like Mint Condition, and Lite White Berry (kind of sounds like me). One thing I do not get is the whole log cabin feel of the place. Isn't coffee from South America?
4) Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf - This place is only on the west coast. When I first tried it when I was in Vegas I totally loved it. They have a lot of great iced blended drinks with cool flavors like Caramel, and Peppermint White Hot Chocolate. I think they put powder is most of the drinks which is kind of weird but it tastes really good so I do not care. The only reason why this is not higher on the list because when I tried it for a second time in Vegas I did not like it as much as the first time and I found the service kind of slow.
5) Starbucks - So, so, so overpriced and so blech. I really only like the lattes here. The regular coffee is just not good. The only way it is drinkable is if you put tons of milk and sugar which is kind of annoying. Yes the white chocolate latte or the caramel frapachino is delicious but they are both really fattening. Also they only sell New York Times in their stores. I mean come on sell the Post that is what people want to read anyway.
6) Coffee Beanery - I remember going to these way back in the day but they just are not that good anymore. I feel the coffee is kind of burnt there.
Honorable mention - Guy and Gallard - they get this because their chai is the greatest hot drink in the world. It is like a dessert and I love it!