Monday, May 4, 2009

Maracas - Shake It


Ahhh, what a lovely weekend I had! I was graced with the presence of Red Headed Kate all weekend! Kate?? No, no, not my old roommate, my bud from the days of being an ASSt.

To celebrate her bday and Cindo de Mayo we decided to go to a fun restaurant in the Village called Maracas. Well I order my huge Margarita and much to my delight I look at my cup and discover, Maracas is a chain. Awesome! Besides their West Village location, there is also one in Ft. Lauderdale. That means when I move to Boca to become a gym teacher (a secret dream I have) I will be able to relive my wild times as a 20 something in NY right in Ft. Lauderdale!

To start the meal we ordered guacamole. I like mine spicy, most of the girls at the table like it mild, boo, boring. Anyway, my spicy guac was just Ok. I would say most of the other Mexican chains in the city have a better, more original tasting guac. I was pretty happy with my Marg. At first I didn't think it was that strong but by my second jumbo sized glass, I could hardly get it down. For $17 bucks a glass, it better be strong! For my entree I went with the Steak and Chicken Fajitas. For fajitas, it really was not a big portion but that was ok, because when your are throwing back margs, you get pretty full and I tend to over eat and then get sick and feel rather bloated in my cute going out attire (TMI - sorry). The fajitas themselves were just ok. I mean they do not hold a candle to Jose Tejas, but really, what does? Other menu items that I thought looked good were the Avocado Shrimp Salad and Pollo Limon. Next time I would probably get the salad. Of course they also have Mexican staples like burritos, tacos and enchiladas, so you could go that way as well.

Truthfully, you don't really go here for the food, you go for the atmosphere and the fun. You see, if it is your birthday, they turn the music up, get the disco ball and lights going, play Happy Birthday and La Bamba, put a Sombrero on you, give you a cake with this crazy candle coming out and take your picture. Its a hoot!

No comments: