Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Taco Ew

I think I might have to become a vegetarian again.  Prob not because it was getting kinda annoying not being able to eat meatballs or chicken parm but this story is pretty gross.  I used to eat a fair amount of Taco Bell in high school and college.  I guess I don't really eat it anymore but how gross is it to find out that only 36% of the meat is actual beef.  Here is the list of ingredients.
Water, isolated oat product, salt, chili pepper, onion powder, tomato powder, oats (wheat), soy lecithin, sugar, spices, maltodextrin (a polysaccharide that is absorbed as glucose), soybean oil (anti-dusting agent), garlic powder, autolyzed yeast extract, citric acid, caramel color, cocoa powder, silicon dioxide (anti-caking agent), natural flavors, yeast, modified corn starch, natural smoke flavor, salt, sodium phosphate, less than 2% of beef broth, potassium phosphate, and potassium lactate.

It is not the worst list ever.  Water, chilli pepper and onion powder aren't that scary.  I think just knowing that it is less than half actual beef is the weird part.
Here is the link to the article from Gizmodo.
http://gizmodo.com/5742413/this-is-what-really-hides-in-taco-bells-beef
Yo Quiero Taco Bell!

2 comments:

Sammie said...

I started my research on fast food about 4 years ago, starting with McD's. Now the only fast food I can eat is Wendy's!

Timothy said...

It makes you wonder how many of the chain restaurants you eat at are doing the same. I don't do the cheap and cheerful places, they're more likely to cut corners. I stick to places like the Bella Italia restaurants which I know, because I used to work their as a waiter, that the food is above board.