Monday, October 25, 2010

Lavo was Lame-O

In honor of the President Brett's birthday this weekend my family and I dined at the new midtown hotspot Lavo.  If you read some of my earlier posts you know how excited I was about the opening of this Las Vegas Italian mecca.   I was a bit disappointed with the atmosphere in the New York location.  It was very understated but not in a good way.   I thought it would be a bit more glam, glitzy and fab (like me - on a good day of course!).  I am not really sure what the restaurant was going for, maybe some sort of older rustic thing, I wasn't feeling it though.
The food overall did not stand out.  We started the meal with kobe stuffed riceballs that were just ok.  I have had better riceballs at many other Italian restaurants.  Those balls should have been awesome because they are a mixture of everything I love Kobe (the beef and Bryant), some cheese (just a bit), rice and fried goodness, yet somehow they disappointed.  The restaurant also gives you fresh, hot garlic bread to start.  Really, you can't go wrong with butter and garlic drenched bread.  For my entree I got the Rigatoni Melanzana which was just rigatoni with some fresh mozzarella and eggplant.  I get this a lot at Max in NYC and it is much, much better there and probably half the price.  My brother got the chicken parm, which was a huge portion and very good.  If I ever go back I would get a chicken dish instead of the pasta.  The dessert was actually awesome.  We got the Roasted Apple Napoleon which was just a delish apple pastry with cinamon gelato.  That was by far the best part of the meal!  I can't believe I am saying this but the dessert was probably even better than my glass of rose.  That is saying something.
If I ever go back to the NY Lavo, I would go later in the evening hoping that the scene would be a bit better and share a few dishes with friends.  I am glad I went, but don't think I will be running back anytime soon.  I shouldn't really be running anywhere anyway because I tend to trip over my own feet on the east river and have cuts and bruises everywhere now.  Ooopppss!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello guys
I know it's not related issue, but I want to open a art prints online store and I don't really sure where to start,
theres a lot of online shop systems I found, and I don't sure what to select from. I saw a cool [url=http://www.gayaartprints.co.uk/]online art shop[/url]
but I do not know what script this guy is using.
can somebody help me?
thank you in advance
Allan